100 Heart-melting Valentine’s Day Quotes
Valentine’s Day comes once a year, in February, as a reminder of what being in love means. When this love we feel is so universal and dominates our existence, making an effort to express it may turn out to be overwhelming.
That’s when words by famous people can come in to save the day. Our collection of famous Valentine’s Day quotes will help you show them how much you love them while sharing an everlasting piece of wisdom at the same time.
- You put your arms around me and I’m home.
- Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I’ll meet you there. Rumi
- When I saw you I fell in love, and you smiled because you knew.
- If my Valentine you won’t be,
I’ll hang myself on your Christmas tree.
- You make me happy the way no one else can.
- Love like you’ll never be hurt. Happy Valentine’s Day.
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage. Lao Tzu
- You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. Dr. Seuss
- In a world
- What a lover’s heart knows let no man’s brain dispute. Aberjhani
- The very essence of romance is uncertainty. Oscar Wilde
- One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles
- This fire that we call Loving is too strong for human minds. But just right for human souls. Aberjhani
- Most people are slow to champion love because they fear the transformation it brings into their lives. And make no mistake about it: love does take over and transform the schemes and operations of our egos in a very mighty way. Aberjhani
- The beat of two hearts becomes one when intertwined in a passionate kiss. Lisa Marbly-Warir
- Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze. Elinor Glyn
- Lovers alone wear sunlight. E.E. Cummings
- To fear love is to fear life, and those who fear life are already 3-parts dead. Bertrand Russell
- Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation. Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi
- This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet. Rumi
Sweet Valentine’s Day Quotes
- Yours is the light by which my spirit’s born: – you are my sun, my moon, and all my stars. E.E. Cummings
- The best thing to hold onto in life is each other. Audrey Hepburn
- This is what our love is––a sacred pattern of unbroken unity sewn flawlessly invisible inside all other images, thoughts, smells, and sounds. Aberjhani
- True love is like little roses,
sweet, fragrant in small doses.
Ana Claudia Antunes
- If I had a flower for every time I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever. Alfred Tennyson
- Let yourself be drawn by the stronger pull of that which you truly love. Jalaluddin Mevlana Rumi
- If a thing loves, it is infinite. William Blake
- It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you. Roald Dahl
You are always new, the last of your kisses was ever the sweetest. John Keats
- Love planted a rose, and the world turned sweet. Katharine Lee Bates
- When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain. Mark Twain
Famous Valentine’s Day Quotes
- Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. Robert Frost
- Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.
- Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
- We loved with a love that was more than love. Edgar Allan Poe
- The real lover is the man who can thrill you by kissing your forehead or smiling into your eyes or just staring into space. Marilyn Monroe
- One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving. Paulo Coelho
- I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
- As if you were on fire from within.
The moon lives in the lining of your skin.
- Never love anyone who treats you like you’re ordinary. Oscar Wilde
- Love is or it ain’t. Thin love ain’t love at all. Toni Morrison
- Trust your heart if the seas catch fire, live by love though the stars walk backward. E.E. Cummings
- I think… if it is true that
there are as many minds as there
are heads, then there are as many
kinds of love as there are hearts. Leo Tolstoy,
- It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important. Antoine de Saint-Exupéry,
- Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet. Plato
- Love does not begin and end the way we seem to think it does. Love is a battle, love is a war; love is a growing up. James Baldwin
- Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness. Bertrand Russell
- What is hell? I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love. Fyodor Dostoyevsky,
- He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. Emily Brontë
- Never close your lips to those whom you have already opened your heart. Charles Dickens
- I want
To do with you what spring does with the cherry trees. Pablo Neruda
- Have enough courage to trust love one more time and always one more time. Maya Angelou
- My great hope is to laugh as much as I cry; to get my work done and try to love somebody and have the courage to accept the love in return. Maya Angelou
- The heart has its reasons which reason knows not. Blaise Pascal
- The course of true love never did run smooth. William Shakespeare
- There is nothing more truly artistic than to love people. Vincent van Gogh
- I loved her against reason, against promise, against peace, against hope, against happiness, against all discouragement that could be. Charles Dickens,
- Love is a better master than duty. Albert Einstein
Inspirational Valentine’s Day Quotes
- If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
- Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new. Ursula K. Le Guin
- We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love. Tom Robbins
- I don’t trust people who don’t love themselves and tell me, ‘I love you.’ … There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt. Maya Angelou
- Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own. Robert A. Heinlein
- If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don’t, they never were. Kahlil Gibran
- The power of love is that it sees all people. DaShanne Stokes
- Love attracts, connects, builds and frees the beauty of humanity. Happy Valentines Day. Euginia Herlihy
- On Valentine’s Day, we are reminded what our relationships could be like the other 364. Steve Maraboli
- We accept the love we think we deserve. Stephen Chbosky
- Love is a decision, it is a judgment, it is a promise. If love were only a feeling, there would be no basis for the promise to love each other forever. A feeling comes and it may go. How can I judge that it will stay forever, when my act does not involve judgment and decision. Erich Fromm
- The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being. Tom Robbins
- The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved — loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves. Victor Hugo
- Every true love and friendship is a story of unexpected transformation. If we are the same person before and after we loved, that means we haven’t loved enough. Elif Shafak
Funny Valentine’s Day Quotes
- I think you’re suffering from a lack of vitamin Me.
- You hold my heart in your hands. Please don’t clap.
- Love, n. A temporary insanity curable by marriage. Ambrose Bierce
- You’re so hot, even my pants are falling for you.
- Before you marry a person, you should first make them use a computer with slow Internet service to see who they really are. Will Ferrell
- Forget the butterflies, I feel the whole zoo when I’m with you.
- If I could rearrange the alphabet, I’d put U and I together.
- I love being married. It’s so great to find one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. Rita Rudner
- My friends tell me I have an intimacy problem. But they don’t really know me. Garry Shandling
- Love is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. Woody Allen
- Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place. Billy Crystal
- Marry a man your own age; as your beauty fades, so will his eyesight. Phyllis Diller
Long Valentine’s Day Quotes
- People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life. Elizabeth Gilbert
- If I say your voice is an amber waterfall in which I yearn to burn each day, if you eat my mouth like a mystical rose with powers of healing and damnation, If I confess that your body is the only civilization I long to experience… would it mean that we are close to knowing something about love? Aberjhani
- To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable. C.S. Lewis
- There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life. John Lennon
- in the afterglow
of an evening rain
i lay down
in the grass
and think of you
my body aches
like an after-kiss
breaking in soft fires
i will always be
this tender for you.
- In the eighteenth century, historians tell us, ‘valentinage,’ from which Valentine’s Day was derived, allowed wives in northern France to make love, on a few days each year and with the knowledge of their husbands, with a ‘valentine’ of their choosing. Pascal Bruckner
- You may not be her first, her last, or her only. She loved before she may love again. But if she loves you now, what else matters? She’s not perfect—you aren’t either, and the two of you may never be perfect together but if she can make you laugh, cause you to think twice, and admit to being human and making mistakes, hold onto her and give her the most you can. She may not be thinking about you every second of the day, but she will give you a part of her that she knows you can break—her heart. So don’t hurt her, don’t change her, don’t analyze and don’t expect more than she can give. Smile when she makes you happy, let her know when she makes you mad, and miss her when she’s not there. Bob Marley
- You think because he doesn’t love you that you are worthless. You think that because he doesn’t want you anymore that he is right — that his judgement and opinion of you are correct. If he throws you out, then you are garbage. You think he belongs to you because you want to belong to him. Don’t. It’s a bad word, ‘belong.’ Especially when you put it with somebody you love. Love shouldn’t be like that. Did you ever see the way the clouds love a mountain? They circle all around it; sometimes you can’t even see the mountain for the clouds. But you know what? You go up top and what do you see? His head. The clouds never cover the head. His head pokes through, beacuse the clouds let him; they don’t wrap him up. They let him keep his head up high, free, with nothing to hide him or bind him. You can’t own a human being. You can’t lose what you don’t own. Suppose you did own him. Could you really love somebody who was absolutely nobody without you? You really want somebody like that? Somebody who falls apart when you walk out the door? You don’t, do you? And neither does he. You’re turning over your whole life to him. Your whole life, girl. And if it means so little to you that you can just give it away, hand it to him, then why should it mean any more to him? He can’t value you more than you value yourself. Toni Morrison
Short Valentine’s Day quotes
- Love is a courageous device, it gives you the ability to see things in a positive way. Happy Valentines Day. Euginia Herlihy
- Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it. Nicholas Sparks
- Love is a sweet aroma, it fills the room with a wonderful atmosphere. Happy Valentines Day. Euginia Herlihy
- Hugs, Kisses and Valentine’s Wishes.
- You will forever be my always.
- Morning without you is a dwindled dawn. Emily Dickinson
- Her heart was a secret garden and the walls were very high. William Goldman
- Don’t ever think I fell for you, or fell over you. I didn’t fall in love, I rose in it. Toni Morrison